SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:35:00 +1100
On Friday, January 25, 2002 6:03 PM, Brad Stambaugh wrote:

> How about a favorite inflator hose air horn?

I use a Mini-Hammerhead.  Although I haven't personally tried any other
models, I've dived with people who've used other types.  None of which, to
may way of thinking, were quite as powerful as the Mini-Hammerhead.  On
occasions - when it's started to sound like a lisping raspberry rather than
giving out a mighty Honk - I've had to take it apart and fiddle with the
innards, but it's always come good again.  And it does seem to work over
long distances - both above and below the surface.  If I remember, I'll try
and get some prices on them from the manufacturer here.  If you're
interested it may work out cheaper than buying in the States!  :-)

>  I'm in the process of shopping for gear for the Cayman Islands. There
> are a few things that I don't have because they aren't so practical
> where I live. I will also probably buy a 3 mil wetsuit (instead of lycra
> because I intend to stay wet and warm). Strike, if your new suit turns
> out to be good choice, I'd consider that. But for a week of diving as
> much as possible, warmth is going to be important for me.

I don't know what the water temperature will be in the Caymans when you're
there for the NEDFest, but regardless you'll probably require more thermal
protection than this suit will provide.  By the time you've done, say,
four - or more? - dives a day you're going to have lost a lot of core body
heat.

I've noticed, when diving in the tropics from liveaboards - in water temps
in the upper twenty degrees C - that I'm quite comfortable doing the first
couple of dives in just a lycra suit.  For subsequent dives, I then need to
add a bi-lam suit.  I've also got a 5mm one-piece reversible wet-suit that'd
be ideal for 3rd, 4th and subsequent dives - but it, too, appears to have
shrunk!  :-)

Strike