SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:21:09 +1100
On Friday, January 25, 2002 10:19 AM, John Nitrox wrote

(big, big snip) :-)

>          Okay, I've laid myself open to lots of harsh criticism  for bad
> things I do and good things I fail to do, but if you aren't using the
> available technology to check for CO in each tank you use breathe that you
> don't fill yourself, please go easy when you wale on me.

G'Day, Mate!  I'm always in awe of your posts - and anyway, isn't there
something about he who is without sin casting the first stone?  :-)

But you did raise an interesting point with regard to checking for CO.  It
used to be taught - and was common practice - to sniff the air after a fill,
(I know that CO is odourless, but if there were obvious traces of fumes or
oil vapours then the chances were that CO was also present), something that
rarely seems to be done now.  Apart from that, I've certainly never given
any thought to using a CO analyser - even if I could find a dive operator
who has one!  :-)

Strike