SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:48:58 +1100
Lee Bell wrote:

> I suspect the difference is the reviewers too, but not because one group is
> less picky, less demanding or easier to please.  We just have different
> priorities.  Blackbeards is like camping on the ocean.  To enjoy it most you
> have to be someone who prefers plain but good food to fancy, a couple of
> draft beers to a glass of fine wine at the end of the day, living a week of
> your life in bare feet and shorts and above all, being close with a group of
> diverse individuals brought together by diving and available space.  There
> ain't nothing luxurious about Blackbeards, but for those that like this sort
> of thing and want to save a few bucks, it's hard to beat.  Those that want
> catered service, gormet food and in suite TV and head, will have to look
> elsewhere.

I'd suggest one other thing:

The "Blackbeards crowd" is likely to be considerably "harder core"
divers than those on the fancy boats, or that is my perception at
least in part.

The luxurious boats (I don't believe I've ever been on one unless you
so describe the Spirit of the Solomons) tend to have their "once a
year" divers.

It's a generalisation, every liveaboard, unless you booked it out as a
group (when you already know the idiots), is likely to have its
idiots. ;)

Cheers,

Christian