SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:09:07 -0500
Richard Blackburn wrote:

> My OW certification is via SSI.  I have logged 24 dives, and can now work
on
> my SSI AOW.  Now for the question: What AOW should I get: SSI, PADI, NAUI,
> IANTD, YMCA SCUBA?  Is there an advantage to one over the other?

I started with YMCA training in the early 60s and got my first C card from
NAUI in 1969.  I spent a lot of years learning through experience before
getting additional certifications, mostly through SSI.  I'm now a SSI Master
Diver.  I also have a Nitrox certification from TDI.

There are some differences between the approaches taken by each of the
agencies, but not a lot of difference in content.  Generally, the
recommendation is to go with the agency whose approach and instructor you
like best.  I'll add my suggestion that you vary the agency you use in order
to get a broader perspective and help you pick the agency and instructor you
like best for future training decisions.

There's one agency missing from your list which is normally believed to
offer significantly different content.  While perhaps not for everyone, GUE
is closely related to the DIR movement and offers a more technical approach
to diving issues.  They're more expensive and a lot less flexible, but they
offer a lot in return.  You should at least consider them in your list of
possible sources of training.

Lee