SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:39:45 +1100
On Wednesday, January 16, 2002 5:23 PM, Reef Fish wrote:

(big snip)

> I PERSONALLY would prefer a RETURN to Scuba-L based on the same idea
> of ELECTION of an Owner, based on the combined membership of former
> and present members of Scuba-L and present members of Scuba-SE, to be
> assigned by Brown, and restore Scuba-SE to its former dormant state,
> for at least THREE reasons:

(Good reasons snipped)

> For Jeff's sake, and the sake of all those who took refuge from
> Scuba-L to Scuba-SE, I think it's high time that SOMEONE who is
> a member on both lists bring up the idea of a DEMOCRATIC ELECTION
> PROCESS to elect a fair and able Owner, for all to be able to return
> back to the one single list.

For some time, I've also been thinking that a return to a single list is no
bad idea.  Not least because it would offer a wider spread of opinion and
points of view.  But - and I suspect like the vast majority of people on any
list - I have little real interest in the way that they're administered.   I
can see faults in both moderated and un-moderated lists - although, having
said that, I do feel that censorship of any sort tends to stifle debate.

While a democratic election for a list Owner is a seemingly good idea, it
would depend on EVERYBODY accepting and abiding by the results of such an
election.  Something that - with the factions that seem to have developed in
recent times - I'm not quite certain would be the case!    :-)

(snip)
> Crusty will be back this weekend.  Chuck seems the only candidate for
> the "fill in for Jeff" job now.

> For an election in the future, for Ownership of either Scuba-SE, or
> Ownership of a re-combined Scuba-L/SE, I nominate

>                 Russ Berger (aka Crusty Russ)

> who has done a tremendous service to the memberships of BOTH groups,
> from the COS99NEDfest shirts to the organization of the CAIV02NEDfest,
> and who is WILLING and ABLE, and FAIR and NONCONTROVERSIAL.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for both Crusty and Chuck - a person
who, it's always seemd to me, (even when we disagree about something), also
'marches to the beat of his own drum'!  I believe that both of them are more
than capable of doing a magnificent job - but not knowing what's involved,
(I'm a Luddite when it comes to computer technology), I'm most happy for
others with greater knowledge of these things to make that determination.
(Leaving to one side the work involved and the fact that, like Jeff, they'd
be acting as unpaid volunteers!)  :-)

> I hope Strike (being the most prolific member of BOTH Scuba-L and
> Scuba-SE, and a man of fairness and integrity)

I thank you for that vote of confidence, (although I'm quite certain that
not everyone would agree with you - and rightly so!)  :-)

>will take a leading
> role (as he does in most issues <BG>) of conducting an Ownership
> Election, for the betterment of both groups!

I'd rather that role - if, indeed, such an election is even agreed to or
becomes a permanent necessity? - be taken by somebody who's more generally
acceptable to the list as a whole and who has a better understanding of how
such a vote should be organised.

> I'll be away diving with Strike's Triggerfish friends.  :-)

Give them my 'love'!  (I'll be out first thing in the morning looking for
anglerfish!)  :-)

> >Let me add a hearty agreement to the wish and prayer for Jeff to
> >return to the road to recovery!

Me too!

Strike