SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:22:17 +1100
On  Friday, January 04, 2002 6:30 PM, Bjorn Vang Jensen wrote:

> At least it had the good sense to spit him out. Maybe he just bored it
into
> submission ;-)

Synchronicity's at work again!  :-)

I've just had a 'phone call from Queensland that - quite literally - left me
rolling on the floor with laughter.  Concerned about this wayward fish's
effect on the dive tourism industry, the various groups, bodies and
organisations have been discussing what should be done to protect divers.
One of the guys suggested - what seemd to me to be the obvious solution -
killing it and, (because it was apparently looking very undernourished in an
area rich in natural food), taking it for scientific examination as to the
possible cause for its attacks on divers.

There was a huge outcry against this solution.  One concerned
environmentalist who actually works in the field, (believe it or not!),
suggesting that that would be totally unacceptable and that it might well be
the case that the grouper was suffering from Pre-Menstrual Tension!  :-)

I'm surprised no one suggested rabies!  :-)

Strike