SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2002

Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:35:47 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Delfs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [SCUBA-SE] Call Me Old Fashioned

> As I understand it, every decompression table ever made was generated
> by an algorithm which embodied a theoretical model.  Strictly speaking,
> teaching decompression THEORY using direct reference to the model and
> algorithms presents no problem, and could be far superior (since the
> tables simply summarize the results of applying the algorithms and omit
> any reference to important aspects of the theory, notably the concepts
> of tissue compartments and differential rates of
> saturation/desaturation, etc.

I have been through a lot of OW classes.  Probably 3-4 per year for the last
5 years.  Not once yet have I seen the theory being taught in an OW class.
Tables yes,  basic concepts yes.  Theory?? Too deadly dull to keep the
interest of people who have paid their 200 bucks and just want to learn to
breath underwater.

CH