HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David T Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:31:37 -0800
When I was an HP1000 Sys Admin and everything else, we did have a lot of HP3000s at "the plant".

Our HP sales guy was the same for both the 1K and the 3K, and was generally highly available to us. I personally talked to him many times a year, and involved him in my budgeting process.

Problem was that, as mentioned repeatedly in this list, the systems he sold us WERE highly reliable and not -auto-obsolecent, so in a given year we might not buy any new 3Ks at all. Sometimes we leased them; HP's VAR program killed our Sales rep's commissions, though, and here's how.

Even though we didn't buy a lot of new systems, we DID buy a lot of peripherals. Our purchasing department figured out pretty quick that they could buy the peripherals cheaper through the VARs. So, even though we might buy many $100K worth of HP equipment (which the Sales Rep knew we were buying) the Sales Rep would only get an order for a small portion.

So, can it not be said, that HP's VAR program pricing structure was a real disincentive for the HP Sales Reps?

-Dave Darnell

[log in to unmask] on 12/19/2001 07:30:00 AM