HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:06:13 -0800
Terry Simpkins asks:
>I ask: what HP sales force?  When was the last time a 3000 account heard
>from one, let alone saw one?  (wanting to talk about 3000's that is)

At my previous place of employment, we had four sales reps in the four years
I was there.  Two of them were worse than useless - wouldn't even return my
calls.  The other two were gems, very attentive, and proactive in finding
and proposing solutions.  The latter of those brought together experts from
HP and several other vendors to develop a solution and managed to put
together a $3 million sale, all for an MPE-based solution.

My point is that there are very good sales people at HP, but there is no
consistency.  HP has never figured out how to train and motivate its sales
force, nor how to weed out the bad apples.  In fact, HP's system of sales
quotas and compensation are notorious for driving away some of their best
people and rewarding the slackers.  HP's corporate marketing efforts often
seemed designed to thwart the efforts of those trying to promote MPE.  It is
only through the efforts of a few extraordinary individuals that HP has ever
had any success at sales.