HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
"Craig M. Lalley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig M. Lalley
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:22:10 -0600
James,

Thank you for the excellent response.  You obviously have better
communication skills than I.

You said

The rule of law is "explicit and public statement of all laws and
regulations that the citizenry are subject to; open discourse on the
formulation and adoption of such laws and regulations;"

I said

"All the laws are known in advance"

Have you ever heard of the "know your customer" law which the government
keeps trying to secretly pass?

Sir Henry Maine, probably the greatest legal historian, said, "The
greatest movement of progressive societies has hitherto been a movement
from status to contract." In non-progressive societies, rule of law is
absent. Laws are not general. They're applied according to a person's
status or group membership. There's rule not by legis, the Latin word
for law, but by privileges, the Latin term for private law.

Let's look at our country and ask whether we live under rule of law.
Just about every law that Congress enacts violates all of the
requirements for rule of law. How do we determine violations of rule of
law? It's easy.

See if the law applies to particular Americans as opposed to all
Americans. See if the law exempts public officials from its application.
See if the law is known in advance. See if the law takes action against
a person who has taken no aggressive action against another.

If you conduct such a test, you will conclude that it is virtually
impossible to find a single act of Congress that adheres to the
principles of the rule of law. That's the very reason lobbyists descend
upon Washington and cough up the big campaign bucks. They want Congress
to use its law-making power to grant them special privileges. But every
indication I see, privilege granting is precisely what most Americans
want, though they might disagree on who gets what privilege.

Most Americans have no inkling of what rule of law means. We think it
means obedience to whatever laws Congress enacts and the president
signs. That's a tragedy.

However, I do agree with you

>>" The higher the expectations of the public then the closer to
perfection the application of the Rule of Law will attain. "

Most people seem to believe we live in a democracy, which is not true.
Our government is a Republic; hence we are not subjected to the tyranny
of the majority.

However we do seem to be subject to the tyranny of apathy.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Craig M. Lalley