HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:19:25 -0800
Larry Barnes asked:
>If I have 2 files, 1 perm and 1 temp, using the same name and I run a
>program with a stdin=tempfile.  Does the HPe3000 look for a temp file
>first and if it doesn't find it, it looks for a permanent file.
>
>What is the lookup order?  I believe it's temp then perm.

The FOPEN() and HPFOPEN() intrinsics allow the caller to specify the domain
of the file to be opened (perm, temp or new).  I am fairly certain (but
haven't looked in the manual to confirm) that the default for a file open
causes the file system to first check for a temporary file with the name
and if there is none then to check for a permanant file.  Of course, a
:FILE command can specify the domain which will override the arguments to
the intrinsic.

-- Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] (Quintessential School Systems)
[log in to unmask] (portable & permanent)
[log in to unmask] (deprecated)