HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:21:07 -0700
Steve Cooper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:15:53 -0600 (Central Standard Time), "F. Alfredo
>Rego" <[log in to unmask]> quizzed:
>
>  >Hindsight is like foresight, but without a future (pop quiz: who said
>>this, and in which context? :-)
>
>Combining Joseph's Google search concept, with Alfredo's quiz
>yields the answer that this quote is from the movie, "Life as a House".

Correct.

>Having not seen the movie, I cannot comment on the context.  And,
>having now read the review of the movie (pointed to by the Google
>search), I have no overwhelming desire to see it, unless Alfredo
>offers a recommendation very different from the critic who wrote
>the review.

Rightly or wrongly, I made a decision long ago to see movies
AND THEN (if I happen to run into them) read the reviews.  I find
it fascinating to discover that, as far as I am concerned, the
reviewers see things totally differently.  But then, again, I
like to watch movies to learn about new things and to reflect
upon my own life (past, current and future) as it relates (or
does NOT relate) to the events and people portrayed in the
movies.  Sun Valley, even though it is a small mountain town,
has excellent first-run movies on several screens (one of my
kids invited me to go see "Harry Potter" on opening day and
we waltzed right in -- while several of my dear friends in the
San Francisco Bay Area had to stand in line :-)

I am not so presumptuous as to even attempt to recommend (or
not to recommend) a given movie to anyone.  Steve Cooper, in
particular, is a good friend of mine who happens to be a
first-rate musician.  I have enjoyed many concerts with him
(including world-class pianists in Guatemala, world-class
conductors in the San Francisco Bay Area, and so on, not to
mention informal rehearsals with his own group of musicians
who -- even though perhaps not quite world class -- are much
better than the average :-)   Regardless of the world level,
I am sure that Steve and I got different insights and benefits
from each of these happenings.  For instance, during a concert
conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy, the cello soloist had a string
snap in the middle of the concert.  Without missing a beat,
the cellist took a spare string out of his pocket, changed the
string, tuned it, and kept on going.  Perhaps this is a
common occurrence and I, being a country bumpkin, was quite
impressed whereas the more seasoned members of the audience
were yawning and looking at their watches to see how long they
had to wait before hitting the bar scene (not Steve, of course,
because he was with his wife Sue)...  And so it goes.

Perhaps I should become more sophisticated in the future.  For
the time being, though, I am afraid I will just continue to
enjoy movies in a naive way :-)

If you happen to see "Life as a House", I would be interested
in hearing any comments and pearls of wisdom.  At least, the
view of the California coast line is quite impressive!  Those
with kids in school might find out (to their chagrin) that other
kids (not their kids, of course) do some "unusual" things in
high school.

Be it as it may, the idea that "Hindsight is like foresight, but
without a future" is interesting and, for me at least, sitting
through the movie was a reasonable price to pay for this insight.

   _______________
  |            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
  |          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
  |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
  |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
  |    d          |  Adager Corporation
  |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.