HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:39:54 -0600
Without changing the source code of the application, how can I force work files to be created on the TEMP volume set. I was thinking, maybe I could create an account on the TEMP volume set, and then create a symbolic link to it.

Any Ideas, will be very much appreciated, details to follow.

The application software we purchased has one huge database, with 125 data sets. Lots of serial reading going on, not fully taking advantage of Turbo Image. The machine (979-400) has two disc array's, each on it's own I/O channel, and three internal drives on another I/O channel. The application account resides on private volumes (STUDENT_VOLUME_SET), and the disc I/O is spread evenly on both disc array's. I don't want to put any of the data on the internal drives, but would like to use the third I/O channel. This application make use of separate groups for work files, like WORK.account, SORT.account, TEMP.account.... So I setup the internal drives into another private volume (TEMP_VOLUME_SET), and thought I could build these 'work' groups on that volume set, M.P.E. (Using RESTORE;VOLSET=) was not able to create the groups on the TEMP volume set, and I think it is because the account is already on the STUDENT volume set, unable to split an account across two volume sets.

--
Michael Anderson
Spring Independent School District