HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:30:12 -0500
Richard follows Matt:
>Just some quick points for now.  Emulated environments have become
>much more stable and have good performance in recent years.
>VMware 3.0 is a beta because it still lacks some features, but
>it is very stable.

Emulation has many flavors.  VMWare emulates at a fairly low level to make
the operating system think it is talking to the hardware (IIRC), Java does
it at a slightly higher level by abstracting the hardware.  OS/2 emulated at
the WIN32/API level.  IBM has OS/400 and Windows NT running side by side by
installing the RS6000 CPU as card in an Intel box.  There are many options
to emulation.

One option to consider is to use the work of the PA-RISC Linux project,
which used to be at http://puffin.external.hp.com but is now at:

http://www.parisc-linux.org/

This site includes a lot of technical documentation for PA-RISC:

http://www.parisc-linux.org/documentation/index.html

I found the First FAQ question quite interesting:

"What binaries will PA-RISC Linux support?
We intend to support 4 binary formats:

HP/UX SOM 32 bit
Linux ELF 32 bit
HP/UX ELF 64 bit
Linux ELF 64 bit
We're not promising to get all HP/UX binaries running on Linux. In
particular those which are multithreaded are unlikely to ever be supported.
Nevertheless, many HP/UX binaries will run on Linux/PARISC today."

There may be some good information here, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Mark Wonsil
4M Enterprises, Inc.