HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:50:58 -0500
If you are using one of those occursed mail systems that have an "out of
office" reply feature, PLEASE alter your subscription options to nomail
or at least digest at http://raven.utc.edu/Archives/hp3000-l.html,
select "Join or leave the list (or change settings)" and change the
subscription type.

Some systems send the out-of-office replies to the SMTP FROM: mailbox,
which is owner-hp3000-l, and it annoys me.  But worse still, some others
send to the RFC822 From: address and it annoys anybody posting to the
list.  It is a shame to have to delete 3-4 "out-of-office" messages for
every posting you make to the list.  If this persists, I am going to
have to be proactive and set your subscription to nomail myself to avoid
annoying our other subscribers.  The noise to my owner-hp3000-l mailbox
I can tolerate, but I can't stand for our subscribers to be annoyed
similarly.

Likewise for people with ISPs that enforce e-mail quotas and send back
"mailbox full" messages.  I know many times you can't help it, but it
gets annoying when I get one of those messages for every posting to the
list.

With the coming holiday season, I wanted to make this point especially
clear as the holidays are open season on list managers, and I'd prefer
enjoying the festivities over deleting nonsensical messages any day.

Thanks for your co-operation, or apologies in advance to anyone I may
proactively zap.

Jeff
HP3000-L List Janitor-at-large