HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:17:01 -0800
The "proprietary" label for Unix is based on the fact that the promise of
platform independence that Unix was supposed to provide was never really
realized.  Each manufacturer has its own version of Unix, with its own
extensions and peculiarities.  Linux, because of the open source model, is
far less platform-specific.  The open source license, as I understand it,
requires that any extension a vendor develops must be made available to the
community at large.  Since Linux is being enhanced and corrected by the user
community, the support and development costs are far less than with Unix.
Shops that choose Linux are less vulnerable to the whims of a manufacturer
than other OS's.  (This is not to say that HP announced the MPE EOL on a
whim ;-).)