HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
Michael Marxmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:23:07 +0100
Pete Osborne wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2001 5:55, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> > I would have to agree with this.  Depending on the amount of data you
> > are dealing with, you could easily use PostgreSQL instead.  Basically
> > PHP has database drivers in it (it also runs on MPE under Posix) that
> > abstract the database and let you swap it out as needed.  Apache is a no
> > brainer in my opinion.  There is no cost associated with this, it scales
> > well and is very portable.
>
> Shawn's right here. We develop all our web applications using Apache, PHP
> (version 4.1 was released 2 days ago!), and PostgreSQL on Linux (though it
> would probably be trivial to port to Unix or Windows). It gives you the
> performance, maintainability, scalability and security for the right price.

Let me add a different view: It depends what you want to achieve.
For a "standalone" system mysql or Postgres are certainly good
options.
However often a web application needs to make use of your company data
or integrate with your application.
This is especially true for the Intranet which might provide the
biggest short term benefit for web applications. We have used the
web to provide a unified view on business information and transactions
(thus integrating different applications).
Typically only a small part of that information is then accessible
to the outside (eg. order information, order entry) and integration
is a key issue.

We have use Apache and PHP accessing the application data through ODBC
or other interfaces.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  Besenbruchstrasse 9