HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
Terry O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:14:52 -0700
Just to add to Michael's comments:

I feel that there are four mainstream ways to do web based application
development:

1) Sun Java approach with Java Server Pages and Java Servlets using the
JDBC interface (steep learning curve)
2) Microsoft approach with ASP.NET - the new latest greatest approach by
Microsoft and replaces their current approach (but it's Windows only)
3) OpenSource: PHP and I hear Zoap is coming on strong (cost is right)
4) Packages: ColdFusion, Speedware Autobaun, Cognos Powerhouse/Web, etc.

ColdFusion is certainly a good package and probably the most complete
overall web development environment today. But all four approaches will
work depending on individual needs and Speedware and Powerhouse are good
choices if your shop already has those packages.

Apache is a mainstream web server and hard to beat unless you have large
scaling needs or J2EE requirements.  If so, it's time to look at
Sun/Netscape IPlanet, Bea Web, or IBM Websphere.
As to MySQL, the general belief by head to head evaluators is that
PostgreSQL is the preferred open source data base but MySQL has a loyal
following.
I find that Red Hat Linux 7.x is a very stable and robust development
and database or web/application server environment.  It's certainly
worth a look.  With IBM and HP throwing their weight behind Linux, it's
a mainstream OS now and I have seen several sucessful Linux data base
and web application server implementations.

Terry O'Brien