HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
John Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:41:17 -0800
While there are certainly many angles at pursuing the migration of HP3000
users to open systems having a partner consortium is usually in the interest
of those partners and only those partners. I am not a big fan of this and
must agree with Alfredo's comments regarding this type of collaboration.
Certainly there is much to look at in reviewing a "total migration plan".
Yes, it involves tools but also services and people that are knowledgeable
to make the transition happen. In the HPe3000 community there is many custom
applications and requirements. This could be a HUGE expense for the HP
community if they make incorrect decisions and tool selections along the
way.

Having independent choices is important, you certainly cannot bottle up this
whole migration thing and say the partner consortium has all the answers. It
is one view and certainly there will be some customers that think this is
the best choice. That's why we have competition in the market place it keeps
solutions and costs in control for customers to make smart choices about
there future directions and how they plan to proceed. Solutions that are not
intrusive to the current operating environment are key to keeping the
HPe3000 environment static in this transition process. Tools with minimal
disruption and skilled personnel to develop target applications to interface
with the data converted are key. It requires as I said about a skilled group
of professionals that can utilize the tools or have tools that create and
manage the migration and provide visibility to the cause and effect of
change.

I think there will be several directions taken by the HPe3000 community. But
the mainstream will select UNIX and Oracle and NT with either a SQL Server
or Oracle RDBMS. This is the safe bet. I am sure there will be groups that
select DB2, Informix RDBMS or LINUX OS. The question here is not a simple
one, customers must look at a new direction and migrate away form the things
they knew and loved that were stable and predictable. But once the choice is
made they should review the alternatives that are in place and the new ones
that will emerge. By defining there goals and objectives they can make
intelligent and smart choices. Picking a tool that is smart about the
migration, picking a hardware vendor that can delivery the equipment and
selecting a group of professionals to assist in the implementation is the
smart thing. The great thing about this is that there are alot of smart
people both customers and people that surround the HPe3000 and they will all
work very diligently to make sure each customer installation is successful.

Quest Software is a tools vendor that feels they will be instrumental in
assisting these customers not only with the migration but after the
migration. Quest is a solid company and business partner of this community
that has build it foundation on the HPe3000 and has made significant strides
in the area of open systems, namely Oracle tools, NT tools and DB2 tools. No
matter the direction you as customers take all I recommend is that you make
sure that you evaluate your alternatives. Quest partners with various
consultants and hardware vendors when recommending the correct solutions.
With regard to migration strategy Quest Software and Taurus Software have
been partners for over 5 years developing and providing this migration path
with our joint tool BridgeWare that provides a seamless migration strategy
to port your most important asset, "your data" to the new platform.

So you do have a choice in selecting a direction and independent choices are
important. To find out more about all the solutions, "What HP e3000 partners
and customers are saying --
http://www.hp.com/products1/mpeixservers/future/details/partners_customers.h
tml
<http://www.hp.com/products1/mpeixservers/future/details/partners_customers.
html> . These are just a few vendors that can supply the various solutions.
I'm am sure the solutions will grow. Make sure you look at the solutions
that are right for your company. If you are interested in what Quest has to
offer I welcome you to contact us at the numbers below. Make safe business
choices and look out for your company. I wish you much success in the
direction you pursue.

Best regards,

John C. Saylor
MPE Business Unit, Sales Manager