HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:32:44 -0800
The November HPWorld publication from Interex has as its lead story "HP to
Phase Out e3000" as you might expect. Next to it on the front page is an
article titled "HP Seeks to Expand Software Presence". Below the lead
article is one titled "Briefing Center Surrounds Customers with HP's Image".

Also, from my 3000 NewsWire soapbox (and before that, HP Professional) I've
chastised CSY for being too customer focused; for not doing things until
some critical mass of customers requested it, and thus being late to the
table with new technologies. I felt that CSY needed to get out in front and
tell customers "we think you are going to want this". This lack of
leadership from CSY is IMO one significant reason why developers did not
write for the platform. The irony now is that in the most important decision
of all, the phasing out of the platform, CSY is saying, "trust us, this is
the best thing for you". CSY continues to refuse to tell the community how
many 3000s are in service now and what the economics were that convinced it
a port to IA-64 was not worth the investment in dollars but was worth the
bad faith engendered by failing to fulfill a promise.

John Burke