HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:17:41 -0500
Rick Gilligan wrote:

> If we can raise US$2,000,000 per year, what ever happened to "Customer
> Funded Enhancements"?
>
> I have no idea what HP is estimating the port to IA-64 to cost (whether
> PA-RISC emulated or native IA-64), but I wish they would have floated the
> conversion as a possible Customer Funded Enhancement.
>
> Perhaps they would have received enough money to make the port reasonable,
> from a business profit perspective.

There is a missing link.  CSY would have had to approach it's mission
very differently, which probably would not have been possible without
the intensive "out of the box" thinking going on now.

On the other hand, maybe they thought about it and decided it just
wasn't worth it.  There is a perspective there that tends to be missed,
that the ISVs are drying up.  We must ask, what is the point of
continuing if that is true.  With Wirt's model, perhaps it is cheap
enough to keep going that only a very few applications and in house
software would make it worthwhile, but that's likely not enough for
CSY's goal in making it's contribution to HP's bottom line.

Richard

> Rick

Richard L Gambrell, Senior Information Technology Consultant and
Director of Computing Systems and Networks
Information Technology Division, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Fax: 423-755-4150                Support Help-Desk: 423-755-4000
Direct phone: 423-755-5316       ITD Business Office: 423-757-1755
Mobile (urgent): 423-432-5122    Main UTC: 423-755-4111
Email: [log in to unmask]