HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 1

From:
Peter Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:18:13 -0500
On December 7, 2001 01:57 pm, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> With all that said (and I'm just a recent convert to Debian myself after
> numerous frustrations with ever major distro for the last year) Debian
> is a nightmare to install.

This is very true :-(. It's is not to bad if you are putting it on standard
Intel hardware with no other operating systems. If you through in any
differences though, you REALLY need to know what you're doing. Setting up a
dual boot system will take a little while & some experiance.

A few months ago I used the Progeny installer (which may still be available)
to set up a dual boot system on my laptop that already had Win98 on it. I
used Partition Magic to shrink the windows partition and the Progreny
installer worked fairly at detecting my hardware & setting it up properly,
though I had to deal with sound & the internal winmodem myself.

Once Progeny was on it I just changed my sources & "apt-get upgrade" to
"testing".

-Pete