HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 1

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:57:36 -0800
well since Gavin asks...

Pete Osborn covered some of the cool stuff about Debian already, let me
mention some issues that hit both of them, namely breaking dependencies
by building source outside of the RPM or DEB system, this will mess up
the database that tracks everything, so if you want to build source
properly, you should create a package of it, either DEB or RPM and then
install it.

Where DEB basically has three flavors, stable, testing and unstable,
with RPM things change with each distro and version.  That means an RPM
package built for RedHat 7.1 will likely not work with RedHat 7.2 and
almost certainly not work with SuSE 7.3, etc.  This problem has gotten
significantly worse in the last 2 years since RedHat 6.2 was the
standard and is a nightmare for software suppliers, so we tend to just
make tarballs now and link in everything we need.

Now Gavin just used up2date from RedHat, and that's great, but it's only
going to work for RedHat, SuSE has something similar, but near as
extensive, but if you are running SuSE then up2date doesn't do you any
good.  The biggest issue with most of these services is that they don't
really include *everything*, for example SuSE does not update your KDE
desktop with their tools, but apt-get for Debian will.  With Debian
there is just a huge number of volunteers who package up everything
that's laying around and make it available, as a package management
system Debian with apt-get is just amazing.

With all that said (and I'm just a recent convert to Debian myself after
numerous frustrations with ever major distro for the last year) Debian
is a nightmare to install.  Storm and Corel had great distros based on
Debian, but they are both gone now.  Next month i believe that Xandros
(www.xandros.com) will be releasing their new Debian based distro that
they bought from Corel.  On paper it looks fantastic at the moment, but
I guess we'll see.

Shawn