HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:38:45 -0600
And this is why I like this list so much.  You get to learn a lot about all
sorts of things.  In this case, Kodak is imaging the digital picture onto
regular photo paper. They develop the film as usual, scan the negative at a
very high resolution, probably 4000 PPI if they can get 400 PPI for
printing, and they can then mess around with the picture in software, such
as Adobe PhotoShop.  Once that is done, they image the picture onto regular
photo paper and develop the paper as usual to obtain a finished photograph.

The PPI figure they mention is the same PPI that a file would have.  When
they mention 400 pixels per inch, they mean that a regular 4X6 picture will
be 1600X2400 or 3.8 megapixels.   This will make for excellent results at
that size.  It remains to be seen what the results would be for an 8X10 or
greater.  Extrapolating the numbers one gets 200 PPI for the 8X10, with 2
inches (400 pixels) cropped on the horizontal.  Not very good.  Then again
having the picture in digital, they can use bicubic interpolation and blow
up the pixel count.  I use Genuine Fractals to do the same when I print
larger pictures.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 288-7438
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com