HP3000-L Archives

December 2001, Week 1

From:
Douglas Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:52:09 -0500
Full text at:

http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66102,00.html

A couple of teasers:

"Q: Hewlett-Packard Co. and IBM have recently lowered their Unix server
prices to compete more aggressively against Sun. Do you see a Unix server
price war coming?"

"A: There [already] is one. No lie, it's a two-company short list situation
right now -- only IBM and Sun. I cannot tell you the last time I ran into
HP as a legitimate competitor. It's been a year and a half since I've run
into Compaq [Computer Corp.] as a server company. In the enterprise world,
midrange to high end, it's only IBM and Sun. And there's a huge price war
between IBM and Sun."

Ouch!

"Q: Speaking of HP and Compaq, do you think the merger will happen?"

"A: I sure hope so. Can't you tell the [Hewlett and Packard] kids just to
back off? Either way, they're kind of hosed. Both of them have given up on
their RISC/Unix strategies; both of them have decided they're going to be
Wintel resellers -- they're going to be grocery stores for Wintel. So
either way, at this point it doesn't matter. Even if Hewlett's kid were to
take over and say, "We're going to be in the RISC/Unix business," I'm not
sure that customers would believe it now."

Double ouch!