UTCSTAFF Archives

December 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:15:13 -0500
Dear Vice Chancellor Brown and campus colleagues:

 > Richard Rice wrote:

> This lane is a dumb idea, with the only possible benefit a few extra
> seconds for buses traveling up fifth. This slight benefit is not worth the
> danger to both property and life that the lane obviously poses.

I second this motion, and echo the request for action posted by Julie
Bomar on November 19th.  Specifically, we request that the HOV lane on
5th Street be eliminated and the road returned to its original
configuration *before* the Spring 2002 semester begins on January 7.

I could wait until the first Faculty Council or general faculty meeting
in January to bring this up, but I believe the safety of students,
faculty, and staff requires addressing this problem more quickly.
Thanks, Richard, for the reminder.

> If both
> Professors of Engineering Hiestand and Dumas can agree on abolishing the
> lane, it should be done!

That is the truth.  We may not agree on policies for taxation, or much
else for that matter :) but if you can get the two of us on the same
side when it comes to this issue then there must be a high probability
we are right ;)

> Do we have to wait until someone is injured? Probably.

I hope not.  Let's end this misguided experiment in creative traffic
(mis)management forthwith.

Joe Dumas