SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2001

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:25:36 -0600
Hi Strike,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been traveling again...

Actually, a friend here locally has an extremely sophisticated professional
archival set up for just that purpose, restoring old disc recordings.
Significant improvements can be made to certain aspects of old recordings, but
there are limits and constraints.

The fidelity of 78's were limited and oftentimes the conditions in which the
original sessions were recorded were less than optimal.  Problems that cannot
be overcome through post processing are thing like excessive background noise,
the use of poor quality mics, and bad recording technique.  The quality of the
pressing of the disk and the quality of the stamper and master used to produce
the disc are also factors that can't be 'fixed'.

However, it is possible to reduce most clicks and pops or eliminate them
completely.  Also, the dynamic range can be restored to some degree and often
enhanced, improving on the original recording.  Hiss can oftentimes be
dynamically reduced where the bandwidth of the program is not perceptibly
altered.

If you want to send the original 78 along, I'd be pleased to have it run it
through the restoration process and convert it to a digital form that can then
be distributed as a wav file (or other digi music file flavor) or burn a CD for
you.  My only concern is shipping the original to/from OZ so that the original
78 is not damaged.  I guess it would be best if I fly down to pick it up in
person, or you and Sylvia can bring it here in person to supervise the
remastering.  ...or maybe we should meet part way to handle the exchange, say
Fiji for example.  :-)

Let me know what you want to do...  BTW, Crusty's crew will be away till Dec
27th.  So, happy holidays and warmest wishes to you and Sylvia, and, for that
matter, to all of you and your families here on Scuba-SE.

Russ