HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Cecile Chi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:26:19 EST
In a message dated 11/26/01 4:11:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 (1) Is it possible to upload data from a flat file to an Image dataset?

Yes
<<
 (2) If the answer is yes to question above is there an utility using which I
 can update the dataset with data from flat file?

If the data in the flat file matches the record layout in the data base (same
filed sizes and data types), the utility DISK2DB will load the data for you.
DISK2DB and DB2DISK are contributed library utilities found on most
HP3000s.  You will need to know the name and password of the data base,
the name of the data set you want to load, and the name of the flat file.
<<
 (3) If the answer is yes to question above could u Pls. give me an example

RUN DISK2DB and reply to the prompts.
<<
 (4) Is the master dataset updated automatically.  When I am updating say the
 detail data set, what are issues/points to remember that I have to take
 care.? e.g. My Master dataset may need some entries inorder to update the
 detail dataset.

If the master dataset is an automatic master, the master entries will be made
automatically.  If it is a manual master, you will need to ensure that all
key
values from the detail data exist in the master before the detail record can
be
added.
You can determine the values and add the master records with QUERY, or
else use your favorite language to write a program.

Cecile Chi