HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:13:31 -0700
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 19 Nov 2001, at 8:13, Shahan, Ray wrote:
>
>>  My question is this:  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to
>>  start with all of this for us folks that are MPE, and not well versed
>>  at PC's?
>
>"Linux for Dummies" with a recent version of RedHat (7.1 or 7.2).
>is as good a place to start as any.  If you register at redhat.com
>then you also get a modest amount of support, notification of
>updates, packages, etc.
>
>My advice to you is to get a laptop with a 20 GB or larger HDD.
>Install windows first and format and divide the drive into two
>partitions, each equal to one-half the size of the drive.   Then install
>RedHat Linux into the second partition.  The boot routine will give
>you a choice of OS on startup and the default will usually be
>Windows if you follow this order of installation.   You can then
>switch back and forth as you need.  If you use a version of
>Windows prior to 2000 then there are file system drivers for Linux
>that can access your windows partition from Linux, but not the
>reverse as far as I know.

Good point.  In addition, if you want to go Linux-only, you might
be interested in the fact that Dell unbundles its hardware from
OS software.

So, you can get a computer WITHOUT Windows, with just Linux (or
without any OS at all, if you want to roll your own :-)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?customer_id=04&keycode=6W300&order_code=PE500SC

Careful with the possible URL wrap.  Anyhow, from that Dell page:

Operating System
   Windows 2000 Server,5 Client Access Licenses,English,4GB,
                Partition [add $799]
   MS Windows NT Server 4.0 [add $799]
   Windows NT4,Backup Domain Controller [add $799]
   Red Hat LINUX 7.2 [add $159]
   Red Hat LINUX 7.2,NO DOCS [add $119]
   Netware 5.1 with 5 New User Licenses, NFI Image [add $749]
   Netware 5.1 with 5 User Upgrade Licenses, NFI Image [add $399]
   No Operating System(OTHER)

Is Dell the only company that has unbundled its hardware from OS
software?  Has anybody else followed Dell's leadership?  I am sure
that creative managers everywhere else will study the trends and
will decide to follow Dell's leadership (whose strategies, after
all, have landed Dell onto the "prettiest" -- or "least ugly" --
spot in the PC industry).

Hmmm...  I wonder whether something analogous can be done with
MPE/Image...

   _______________
  |            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
  |          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
  |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
  |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
  |    d          |  Adager Corporation
  |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.