HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
"Eric H. Sand" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric H. Sand
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:38:43 -0800
Hi Matt,
    Monterey(and Pacific Grove), California, where I live still doesn't have
DSL in many areas. I'm apparently 4k feet to far(I was told the max is 17.5k
feet) from Pac Bell's demarc. I have ISDN installed and its been alright,
but I still dream of 512kb download and 128kb upload. I investigated DirecTV
a few weeks ago, but the initial set up cost was approx. $800 with a monthly
fee of $60, a little more than I want to spend right now. I talked with
several people who have the service and they say it performs as advertised,
but the latency can be several seconds in each direction with the
satellites, meaning it will be practically worthless if people expect to
play games over it. My only consideration at the moment is the cost and as
it becomes more popular, that too may come down.

                  Good Luck

                           Eric Sand