HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 12:16:26 -0700
At 11:30 AM -0800 11/22/01, Ric Merz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 05:10 PM 11/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>Ahem...  I have always said, in public, that I admire Bill Gates
>  >and his wonderful leadership...
>
>Wonderful leadership?  From what I have heard, he likes to yell and scream.
>  Also somewhat of a crook, if you consider business ethics to mean anything.

You are right, Ric.  I stand corrected.  What "quality" (if any) should
we then use to describe what Bill Gates did to make Windows the force
that it is now (when compared to what it was in 1991, let's say)?

>  >Ironically, though, that would be overkill.  My trusty hp3000 918 LX
>>runs at 32MHz, has 128MB of memory, and 9 GB of disc.  Even my
>  >portable Mac PowerBook runs at hundreds of MHz, has 1 GB of memory,
>>and has 90 GB of disk (30 built-in and 60 in cigarrette-pack-size
>>FireWire disks).  Mind you, this is a very small Mac.  Just imagine
>>what can be accomplished with a truly BIG Mac :-)
>>
>To the hardware challanged, it would appear that the Mac/Wintel machine
>should run 1000 / 32 = 31.25 times as fast as the 918.  I don't think so.
>You can not compare CPU clock speeds against different hardware architectures.

I readily admit that I am hardware challenged (fortunately, my friend
Denys is always happy to provide free consulting and, slowly but
surely, I am beginning to tell my microchips from my microfiches).

The truth of the matter is that (sugar-coated as a silly comparison
between my trusty hp3000 918 LX and my trusty Mac PowerBook) all I
was trying to do was to impress Denys regarding my Mac.  I can't wait
to see the (much more) clever way that Denys will use to try to
impress me regarding his PC.  And so the world continues rotating...

I am even more guilt-driven to admit that I am culinarily challenged.
How else could I have forgotten to include a grain of salt with my
hardware mix?  No wander the whole thing flopped instead of flipping.

I can't promise I'll reform, though.  Mixing metaphors and digitizing
analogies is just too much fun.  As we say in Guatemala, there is no
reason to drown in a glass of water.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend,

   _______________
  |            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
  |          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
  |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
  |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
  |    d          |  Adager Corporation
  |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.