HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:54:58 +0100
Denys did a wonderful exercise in rooting out pointless comparisons :

> Comparing a desktop or laptop computer to a 918 or 937 is an
> exercise in
> absurdity.

[Remainder of exercise snipped for brevity]

Denys, I wholly support this statement. Here's more :

Don't you just think that those wonderful Windows or MAC PCs with their
wonderful GUIs just complement those equally wonderful MPE servers with they
just as equally wonderful simultaneous transaction processing power ?

In other words, instead of wasting time trying to compare shoes and carrots,
why not get the best of both worlds and use these wonderful GUIs to access
these wonderful databases ?

Oh my, my first assignment today was basically to reinvent client/server
(<smile>)

It's not like we need an IT world with MPE OR Windows. In fact, I'm pretty
sure we'd better have both. Like we need to walk on both legs, one being the
client and one being the server. If you're trying to do with MPE and without
GUIs (Windows or MAC OS, I don't care), you're stuck with character-mode
obsolete stuff. If you're trying to do with GUIs (PC or MAC, again, I don't
care) and without MPE, you're stuck with non-networked apps, or
poorly-performing (see that locking strategy ?) networked apps.

WE NEED BOTH !

[More stuff snipped, sorry Denys]

That being said, I hope all my American friends had a very happy
Thanksgiving. BTW, is Thanksgiving celebrated outside the USA ? It's not
celebrated here in France, I can tell you !

Christian Lheureux
Responsable du Departement Systemes et Reseaux / Head of Systems and
Networks Department
APPIC R.H.
business partner hp invent
Tel : +33-1-69-80-97-22   /   Fax : +33-1-69-80-97-14 / e-mail :
"Le Groupe APPIC recrute, contactez nous !"