HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:29:02 EST
This new version will only be of value to a few people, but the version I
just put up now negotiates its terminal type with UNIX/Linux boxes properly.
As a consequence of the O/S knowing the terminal type now, Linux properly
sets the tabs. Most of the code was already in QCTerm (we always knew we were
going to have to do this, but up to now the need or the opportunity wasn't
there to complete the code. Let me sincerely thank everyone who has allowed
to us to use their Linux boxes for this test). For those who are interested
or are mightily bored, you can read more about terminal type negotiation at:

     http://sunsite.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc1091.html

You can modify the terminal type you wish to respond within QCTerm's
Connection Settings... pull-down menu, but of course QCTerm is only an
HP700/92 terminal and nothing else, so it's best to report that bit of truth
to the O/S. Things will get mightily messed up if you tell Linux that you're
running a DEC VT terminal when you're in QCTerm.

We have for the last four years been defaulting the terminal type window to
"HP", although we haven't been transmitting that information in any form of
suboption negotiation until now. The phrase "HP" seems to work quite well on
the Linux boxes we've tested against. Defining the box to say "HP70092"
appears to work as well. Indeed, I can see no differences in the escape
sequences Linux transmits back as a result of changing the terminal type.

We'll look into the "vi" problem that Mark Bixby reported as soon as we can,
probably next week.

The new version, Version 0.95b, November 28, 2001, is available at:

     http://aics-research.com/qcterm

As always, be sure to close all open terminal sessions and unzip the
downloaded file to the c:\ root as it is primed to do.

Wirt Atmar