HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:16:51 -0600
John Clogg ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: ...Where do they  go for support?

How about HP:

   http://www.hp.com/hps/critical/systems.htm
   hp services : mission critical proactive services

  "ensuring high availability through a comprehensive mission critical
   support solution of preventative and rapid reactive services

   HP Critical Systems Support (CSS) is the optimal level of support when
   your business runs critical applications and is severely affected by
   unplanned downtime. CSS provides technical expertise through an
   integrated combination of proactive services and fast problem
   resolution to meet the demands of your computing environment.

   Whether your IT environment includes HP-UX, MPE/ix, Microsoft®
   Windows®, or Linux operating systems, CSS helps you achieve your
   business goals and objectives by providing a comprehensive support
   solution that meets your availability and performance requirements."

: How many companies are willing to run mission critical applications
: in such an environment?

A whole bunch, per:

  http://www.m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/
  Linux Business Applications

including the U.S. Postal Service, DaimlerChrysler, Boeing, NASA:

   http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/
   Beowulf Project at Goddard Space Flight Center

--Jerry Leslie     (my opinions are strictly my own)