HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:58:38 -0800
At 10:26 AM 11/28/2001 -0600, Chuck Ryan wrote:
> > It's also listed as an option on the price guide.  I'm under
> > the impression
> > that it is not part of FOS, although I'd love to be wrong.
> >

>Well, considering that when I called HP earlier this year and asked about
>the C/ix compiler and their response was $10,000 please, I would say it is
>not part of the FOS.

I for one see no reason to spend money on C/iX (I have it as part of the DSSP).

Mark Klein has provided us with the port of the "industry standard" GCC
compiler tools, a very valuable contribution to the hp3000 ecosystem
indeed.  This it what we have switched to and it has many advantages
including better diagnostics.  The only downside so far has been the debug
environment but that may improve with time.  If you insist on using
non-portable intrinsic calls (we do) then you need to get accurate function
prototypes for the intrinsics that you use but that is certainly not an
insurmountable issue.

Brian Duncombe  [log in to unmask]  http://www.triolet.com
voice: 1-877-TRIOLET (874-6538) (905)632-2773 fax: (905) 632-8704
"Inside every large program is a small one struggling to get out"
C.A.R. Hoare