HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:32:15 -0800
On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 08:29 AM, John Clogg wrote:

> Shawn writes:
>> then don't do it - lots of people are doing it and it works - the
>> entire
>> city of Largo florida has converted to Linux and KDE, the entire state
>> of Oregon is looking to do the same, as is Ford Europe, and then there
>> is Burlington which has been on it for some time, the list goes on and
>> on.  If you don't want to get familiar with it and educated with it,
>> then stick with that you know.
>
> Please reread my post.  I am not saying that companies should avoid
> Linux; I
> am responding to the notion of "If it lacks a feature you want, write it
> yourself or hire someone to write it for you."  I think most companies
> running Linux will demand that the Linux they run has a company with a
> robust support organization standing behind it.  For that reason, I
> don't
> believe the "proprietary" model that currently exists for Unix will fade
> away.  Rather I believe that Linux will become increasingly proprietary.
> BTW, have the entire city of Largo, Florida, the entire state of Oregon
> and
> Ford Europe modified Linux with their own code?

again the beauty of it is that you usually don't have to, so I doubt
they have, and it would be the rare occasion that would require you to
modify the kernel, you could simply write some add-on utilities, just
like all those HP shops that had some smarty pants programmer that made
his own scheduler or whatever and he is now long gone, but you have the
source code and you can maintain it.