HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:47:21 -0800
Hi Tracy - I wish I still had that article but my Dad cut it out of the WSJ
and wanted to send it to his grand daughter - I know when the G IV came
out - I believe the focus of the article is that Carly likes to point the
spotlight at her and lead a grandiose lifestyle - And the real "movers and
shakers" of industry - CEOs who came in with high expectations - simply
rolled up their sleeves - acknowledged their people as the prime reason for
improvement - and ran the companies with a sense of humility.

Heck, look at Louis Gerstner (sp?) and what he has done for IBM. Does he
relish the spotlight?

I don't believe HP was really in any kind of trouble in comparison to IBM -
and Carly has turned the company upside down all for the quick buck. As the
author said - she took a great company and made it a good company.

Seems to be the norm today - what is the bottom line for this quarter - 5
years is long term planning.

When we got our first 3000, HP was like a big family. Customers were
fanatically loyal. We even felt part of this big family.

We had our same CE for 10 years. I believe that Bill & Dave had a genuine
interest in their people and they thought quality first and didn't care
about short term results. The stories of the first 3000 - the trials and
errors - and what HP did to fix it - are legend.

The company grew from a garage to a global 100,000 person presence. And a
powerhouse of technological innovation.

IMHO things started to change 10 years ago.

I honestly don't know as much about HP and technology as many of our list
members - I recognize some of their names as a "who's who" of the HP 3000
world -

And I don't know how much the rate of technological change is forcing HP to
change their policies -

But I don't believe that they are on the right path now -

If Carly came from Lucent Technologies - anyone know how Lucent is doing
these days?

Lucent was a technological powerhouse.

Bill