HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:31:45 -0600
Hello Friends:

At 9:29 AM -0600 11/27/01, Jerry Fochtman wrote:

>And what became of the publication which Ron left when he started
>the 3000 NewsWire?  Would the NewsWire continue if Ron sold it
>to someone and he/Dottie retired?  I submit much of the success of the 3000
>News Wire is due to Ron and his contacts in the community and without
>it, chances are the publication probably would not have stood on its own.

It's really nice to have people point to the 3000 NewsWire as proof
of a successful 3000 market. We've enjoyed serving the community, and
plan to do so for years to come. It's a great community, in spite of
the slowdown in its application sales. From our view, that's the only
erosion we've seen in the 3000 ecosystem. And that can be fixed, with
some loving attention.

As to the fate of the publication I left, it prospered for many years
after my departure. I'd been away from the HP Chronicle for more than
two years by the time we started the NewsWire. Six years after that,
the Chronicle was folded into ServerWorld.

And I'd like to emphasize the *we* in starting the NewsWire. My
partner Dottie (some of you know her as Abby) was every bit as
essential as I was in starting the publication. In fact, launching it
-- one of the bravest things I've been a part of -- was her idea. And
while my contacts in the community are essential, so is her business
acumen, sense of design, dedication to service, and willingness to
lead our revenue stream, in subscriptions and ad sales. She's the
glue that holds all those little bits of fact together, to take facts
and contacts and turn them into a pleasant living.

There's another important element in the NewsWire's life: our
partners in the 3000 community, those who sponsor us, and those who
license our content and subscribe. Suggesting that the NewsWire has
succeeded where others have not simply because I know the community
overlooks the bravery and contributions of my partner, and the help
from those who partner with us. That kind of partnering that will
help the 3000 community go forward, led by volunteers as well as
those who pursue profits. We need all hands on deck while the
community sails for the next shore.

--

Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
The 3000 NewsWire