HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:29:27 EST
Regarding Mark's comments:

> One issue already on Wirt's to-do list is that the Linux telnet server reads
>  the terminal type as "network" instead of the value "hp" that I've
> configured into QCTerm.  As a workaround, I've modified my
> .bash_profile to manually export TERM=hp.

Does anyone know what termtypes are listed in Linux and HP-UX nowadays for HP
terminals? My question is necessary for the terminal type negotiation that
we're currently not doing in QCTerm. There are essentially four delineating
models in the evolution of HP terminals:

     o HP264x - the basic design, although some models were much more complex
in their behaviors than any modern terminal. Possessed definable function
keys, but no on-screen labels.

     o HP2621 - an oddity of a terminal in its behavior.

     o HP2622 - the first modern HP terminal. Introduced screen labels.

     o HP700/92 - introduced 132 column mode.

There are a whole raft of terminal models in between these listed above. The
question is: "Is just returning "HP" sufficient?", or do we need to return
something more. "HP" isn't going to specify much about the complete behavior
of the HP terminal that is currently connected. I have seen "HP2392" as a
listed termtype in my readings, but the HP2392 was not a character-defining
model. It was merely the last of the HP23622 series.

The second question is: "If we return HP70092 as a terminal type, is
Linux/UNIX likely to understand that?"

Wirt Atmar