HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:21:59 -0600
At 09:01 AM 11/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >They mention that Carly has a Gulfstream IV jet - a luxury
> >that neither Bill nor Dave ever had.
>
>Gulfstream IV's were introduced in 1985.
>William Hewlett retired as President in 1977, CEO in 1978.
>David Packard left HP as President in 1969.
>
>Although they stayed on the Board of Directors for many
>years afterward, it would have been difficult, if not
>impossible for Bill and Dave to have a Gulfstream IV
>in their President and CEO positions.

While it may be true, in terms of President/Ceo positions,
what about Board Chair (which is also currently held
by Ms. Fiorino)?  In 1985 Dave Packard delivered the opening
keynote address at the Baltimore-Washington Interex
Conference....as Chairman of the Board.  Unfortunately
I don't recall when he stepped down from this position,
but it seems that it was several years later.

So yep, he could have rode in a GulfSteam IV.

FYI...this is not the first corporate jet HP has had.
I believe Alfredo can relay a story about riding in
one in the late 70s/early 80s.

I think the issue people are raising is the purchase
of this on one hand, while laying-off people on the
other.  Sorta like a major airline purchasing a bunch
of jets from a foreign manufacture just after the
government finalized a $5B support package following
911.  Talk about no sense for timing....