HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:31:15 -0800
On Thursday, November 15, 2001, at 11:12 AM, Kyle Kelton wrote:

> Given the announcement of the demise of the HP3000 (very unhappy), what
> are the prevailing programming languages and databases in the UNIX
> environment?

C and C++, then you can look at OO scripting languages like Python
(which I personally love coming from a COBOL background).  There are the
free databases like MySQL and PostgreSQL (the later being far more
scalable and robust), then there is Oracle and DB2.  You can grab Python
(www.python.org) and PostgreSQL (www.postgresql.org) for free and get
yourself familiar.