HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:48:16 -0500
Shahan, Ray wrote:

> AAAAHHHHH!
>
> I found some reading in *man fc* because I wanted a better way to do edits
> on the command history in POSIX (you know, being used to that proprietary
OS
> named MPE)...I ended up at *man ed*, and I just can't say enough about how
> impressed I am. Yes folks, ed is really something.
>
> I never thought I'd see the day that a line editor was so ^%$#@ bad, that
> it's easier to just retype the command line you wanted to edit (no matter
> how long or complicated the command line was, and no matter how many times
> it takes you to get it right) than to use the line editor.
>
> Still positive, and smiling real nicely.

I've never known anyone to actually use ed to edit command lines.  Be sure
you look into the vi or emacs edit modes.  Except for the fact that it's
slow under VTMGR, it's great!

As I mentioned yesterday, you can set any editor to be your command
editor--e.g. try this if you have qedit:
mkdir ~/bin          # if you don't already have one
cat >~/bin/qed
callci "xeq qedit.pub.robelle 'T $1;set mod qzmod; mq 1;k,y',160"
:eod
FCEDIT=~/bin/qed
ls fasdf
fc ls