HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:04:41 -0800
Peter writes:
> > [running Linux under VMWare on Windows]

> Or the other way around... which would probably be more interesting.

Well, if the intention is to learn Linux I think most people would be
happier to have Linux be the experimental OS in the virtual environment than
they would to replace their desktop OS frozen-turkey (it won't be
cold-turkey until Friday).

But if you *do* want to try it this way, there is a cheap $50 version of
VMWare called Express that runs under Linux and lets you run one instance of
Win 95/98 so that you can still get to your Windows apps from Linux.  Note
that VMWare is up to version 3.0 but they have not brought the Express
product up to this version and Express is missing some of the sexier
features of the full VMWare product.

> Since
> Linux is more reliable and has better virtual memory than NT, that would
> be the way to go for servers.

I'm not sure I would agree with this, but I don't claim to be an expert on
Windows or Linux internals.

In my experience Win2K is the most stable, fast, reliable desktop OS I've
ever seen, and while Linux is actually quite useable as a desktop OS if you
don't mind giving up all of your Windows applications, it's got a ways to go
before I would *prefer* it over Win2K on a "workstation" PC.

On the other hand I think the reverse is true if you're talking about a
"server" environment and writing application programs where Windows becomes
a nightmare and Linux is the ultimate programmers environment.

For me, a Win2K PC with VMWare running Linux in a virtual machine is about
as close to perfect as you can get.

G.