HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:35:37 -0800
Jan writes:
> A little warning, everything in RedHat' opinion is not everthing
> on the install disks. So you may want to use the select individual
> package [v] box.
>
> It does not select the enterprise kernel, if it has not found
> more than 4 GB of memory. This kernel works best on my 1GB
> memory system.
>
> Some special X-Windows hardware package can be of use, the
> installer only selects what it thinks is useful for your
> hardware. So a change of graphics card can get you into trouble
> finding the right package months after the installation.

Though as far as I can tell, the enterprise version of the kernel and all of
the X servers for video cards other than the one detected by the installer
are the *only* packages that do not get installed when you select
"everything" (maybe documentation in languages you didn't select also), so
there's no need to dig through every package in the "select individual
packages" mode unless you know you want all the X servers or the enterprise
version of the kernel.

And if you're installing under VMWare, then you won't need any of the
standard X servers and I doubt that the enterprise kernel will do you much
good.

G.