HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:45:19 -0500
Thus it was written in the epistle of Neil Armstrong,
> At 09:44 AM 11/20/2001 -0500, Ted Ashton wrote:
>
> > >       I also keep hearing about it being readable, but I've never seen a
> > > single readable piece of Perl code yet.
> >
> >Isn't this just a little like saying, "I've never learned to read Russian and
> >I've never seen a single readable piece of Russian yet"?
>
> I would disagree with this sentiment, in fact what makes an outstanding
> programmer from an average programmer is making the "Russian" (code)
> more readable:

<snip examples of poor code vs. good code>

Other than disagreeing with you about making the curlies line up (which is a
style issue, as you said), I'm in complete agreement about making code
readable.  However, that sort of thing does not differentiate Perl from other
languages.  If that was what the original poster meant, then I must conclude
that he hasn't seen enough perl code.  There's quite a bit of
carefully-written, readable perl out there.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
A mathematician of the first rank, Laplace quickly revealed himself as only