HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Bruno Melli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruno Melli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:46:46 -0600
Shahan, Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My question is this:  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start
> with all of this for us folks that are MPE, and not well versed at PC's?

The easiest way to get started is to check around your area to see if there
is a Lunix User Group (LUG). Check out <http://lugww.counter.li.org/>.
These groups usually host Linux fairs where you can just bring your PC and
they'll help you install and get started.

If none is available I would get a cheap older PC (200 Mhz seems OK,
but you can run Linux on older/slower machines too) then install one of the
Linux distributions that are available at your local Best Buy:
SuSe <www.suse.com> or Mandrake <www.mandrake.com>.
These 2 distributions have graphical front ends that make installing
very easy. In addition they auto detect most of the hardware on your
machine. I have no experience with RedHat <www.redhat.com> but it is
a very popular distribution too.

bruno.