HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
EricKundl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EricKundl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:25:17 -0700
a related point: performance.
i get the feeling from some comments here that some think the reason everyone has been using MPE for so long is that HP3000 users are dim witted and afraid of change.

i disagree completely... performance is the main reason for sticking with mpe/image for so long.

i have worked on HP3000's since mid 70's. from 86 thru 2000 at an HMO that had numerous remote sites using multiple 3000's, usually the biggest available from HP.
Some sites had over 500 on-line users and a dozen concurrent jobs. Performance and response time was the *major* issue and it was tracked by the minute.

we weren't using HP3000's because we were to lazy or  to try anything *new*... we used it because all the *new* systems we tried were no where near as fast.

we looked at Sybase, Oracle, IBM's, etc.... but none delivered acceptable performance and response time, most were significantly slower. if anything that came along had been an improvement over mpe, i think we would have migrated years ago.

so just wondering if anyone that is now going to have to migrate to <insert cpu/database here> is considering the resulting performance loss of moving away from mpe/image and how they are going to handle it.

its one thing to tell management that everything has to be migrated with its associated costs, its another thing to then offer that response time and performance will go down.

thanks,
Eric Kundl
Colorado Springs, CO
http://members.home.net/ekundl1/