HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:34:00 -0500
Jonathan Backus wrote in a different post:
>I would tend to believe that if OpenMPE does become a reality, the first
>move would be to transfer control of the MPE source code and to continue
>maintaining it on the existing hardware, almost as if the announcement
never
>happened.  I've always considered MPE to be fine tuned for the hardware it
>is running, so it would seem to be logical to continue running it on that
>hardware, despite the negative feelings toward HP by some right now.  This
>would also help to "stabilize" the user community and vendors.

While being fine-tuned for particular hardware has its strengths, it is also
can be a weakness.  As pointed out earlier, it is a lot of work each time
new hardware comes out.  The hardware changes so quickly, we don't even port
MPE to the most recent models.  Also, some administrators see it as a pain
to maintain multiple boxes.  (This is true even though the 3000 is pretty
low maintenance - wimps.)

The survey only addressees the possibility of staying with the current
hardware - "MPE Intact".  Since it is only a survey, it would be interesting
to know what vendors, consultants and customers would think if they could
run MPE on other hardware.  (Personally, I'd love to have it run on a PC.)
I would be curious if customers would still run MPE apps on HP-UX if they
could.  On other Unix flavors?  I would wonder if having more options would
help "stabilize" the community.

Just curious.