HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:29:24 -0800
At 11:09 AM 11/17/2001, Jeff Kell wrote:
>Jim Phillips wrote:
> >
> > Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]> points out:
> >
> > > My gut reaction to this thread is that those that have trouble with
> > > solving problems on HP 3000 are in *big* trouble moving to another
> > > platform.
> >
> > While we have quite a bit of in-house expertise for the HP3000 (in part
> > because it is so easy to manage), what bothers me the most about moving to
> > some other platform is the possibility of having to hire more people to get
> > the same amount of work done.  Just for example, the two of us here perform
> > the following job functions:
>
>[snip lengthy list]
>
>For our 3000, average session load ~120, I've done the bulk of system
>administration and network admin/management plus some project analysis
>and programming (more of a consulting role to the staff), and Richard
>backs me up, though more into the project role now that we're trying to
>go "somewhere completely different" first with web and now trying to
>figure out what to do in the next 5 years.  We shuffle systems admin
>tasks between us on the 9000/K570 but he does most of it, and does all
>the DBA work and updates for the 3rd party Oracle application.  The
>other application on the 9000 is maintained by the vendor (at quite a
>considerable expense).  We used our Personalized Support option to get
>two SEs here for the last HPUX update, and spent close to 20 hours
>straight only to have the update go afoul (with onsite SEs!).
>
>We do have 4 on programming staff that maintain our applications (they
>are in-house and evolving, mix of maintenance and production).  They
>can do basic DBA work on the 3000 (DBGeneral and Adager) themselves.
>
> > In short, anything to do with IT/IS/DP at our four locations in Ohio and
> > Texas is our concern.  Will we be able to get by with this lean (in
> numbers,
> > if you ever met me you know I'm not lean!) staff if we move to an AS/400 or
> > *nix or Win* box?
>
>No idea of AS/400, but *nix will overwhelm you.

Just like a 3000 will overwhelm you if you're not familiar with it.  All of
our servers (linux), web sites, ftp, db driven web stuff, online ordering
system, sysadmin work, mail servers, etc., is handled part time by a couple
of our programmers because they are familiar with Linux.  If you know the
system and the tools, you can be very productive just like on a 3k.

>Win* is tolerable,
>though not terribly scalable [yet] if you don't mind making frequent
>visits to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and are willing to accept the
>[in-]security of Windows.
>
>In short, I'd say you're going to need help, maybe lots of it.  Come to
>think of it, maybe that is why so many vendors are turning to "services"
>for revenue.

They are turning to services because they aren't willing to hire the right
people or train their internal people, they are looking for a quick fix.

>Jeff

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President