HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 3

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:09:16 -0500
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]> points out:

> My gut reaction to this thread is that those that have trouble with
> solving problems on HP 3000 are in *big* trouble moving to another
> platform.

While we have quite a bit of in-house expertise for the HP3000 (in part
because it is so easy to manage), what bothers me the most about moving to
some other platform is the possibility of having to hire more people to get
the same amount of work done.  Just for example, the two of us here perform
the following job functions:

System Management

System Administration

Data Base Administration & Design

EDI Coordinator

Systems Analysis & Design

Programming

Operations

PC Help Desk

PC Configuration & Management

Network (LAN/WAN) Administration

Network (LAN/WAN) Management

In short, anything to do with IT/IS/DP at our four locations in Ohio and
Texas is our concern.  Will we be able to get by with this lean (in numbers,
if you ever met me you know I'm not lean!) staff if we move to an AS/400 or
*nix or Win* box?

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

LONG LIVE MPE!